We lead off today with an appeal for funds forwarded by Wildfire NOTD subscriber Bill Derr, a former Special Agent with US Forest Service Law Enforcement:
FOLKS, WE HAVE ANOTHER MORE PRESSING ISSUE.
THE LUKE SHEEHY MEMORIAL IS SET FOR JUNE 23, 2013 IN REDDING CA. THE JUMPERS, FAMILY, AND THE FOUNDATION HAVE STEPPED UP TO THE TASKS AT HAND. THEY NEED HELP.
AS MOST OF YOU KNOW THE FOUNDATION ALWAYS COMES THROUGH TO SUPPORT FAMILIES. WELL, FUNDS ARE VERY LOW RIGHT NOW AND VICKI MINOR IS IN NEED OF FINANCIAL HELP FOR THE FOUNDATION TO CONTINUE.
PLEASE CONSIDER HELPING OUT WITH ANY AMOUNT YOU WISH.
PLEASE MAIL YOUR CHECK TO :
WILDLAND FIREFIGHTER FOUNDATION
2049 AIRPORT WAY
BOISE ID 83705
An overview of wildfires in several Western states is provided by an ABC News article (1); while a researcher from Yale University posits that current conditions (and wildfires) in the western US could be a portent of what is to come for forests around the world (2); the following article arguing against suppression of wildfires (3). Fire crews in Contra Costa County, California, practiced for the inevitable wildfires of summer yesterday (4); while a small wildfire sparked by a lawnmower in Philomath, Oregon, was a reminder of the high fire danger in that region (5). A 60-acre wildfire in Arizona's Kaibab National Forest forced evacuations in nearby Grand Canyon National Park (6); but an octogenarian is providing support for firefighters at New Mexico's Mimbres Christian Camp (7). A summary of wildfires in Colorado is provided by the next article (8); where the 22 mi.² Black Forest Fire, which has destroyed 509 homes, is now 95% contained (9); Wildfire NOTD subscriber Tom Lasser, a retired Lt. Colonel with the California National Guard, sending along a Defense Department update on the status of National Guard units helping fight the blazes (10); a video segment showing aerial firefighters based at Jefferson County Airport's USDA Forest Service Air-tanker Base in action over the fires (11); DC-10 pilots discussing their job in a video segment from NBC News (12); Wildfire NOTD subscriber Rick Hatton, CEO of 10 Tanker LLC, discussing the possibility that their organization could help Colorado solve their air-tanker problem in the next article (13); but smoke from wildfires south of Denver triggered Wildfire Smoke Health Advisories in Denver (14); Colorado's Jewish community stepping in to help those displaced by the wildfires (15); Mennonite churches doing their part as well (16); while a legal firm offered their services, too (17); but at the same time, law-enforcement officials warned of criminals taking advantage of wildfire survivors (18); and the federal government is cutting funding for fire prevention programs (19); even as Colorado Republicans introduced an amendment to the Farm Bill working its way through Congress aimed at adding additional air-tankers to fight wildfires (20); a Colorado lawmaker asking the Defense Department not to furlough civilian employees impacted by the recent wildfires (21). Over 600 animals have been rescued from the Colorado wildfires, according to the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region (22); this at a time when the Snowmass Wildcat Fire Protection District held an open house to convey wildfire safety tips to homeowners (23); that story followed by one which tells the stories of people impacted by the Black Forest Fire (24). An update on wildfires in Utah, where two southeastern blazes continue to burn, is provided by the next article (25); and unusually warm conditions are helping fuel a 25,000-acre wildfire in Alaska's Tetlin National Wildlife Refuge (26). Yukon Wildland Fire crews continue to monitor a 20-hectare wildfire near Lake LaBarge as firefighters from across Canada arrived to help (27). In Europe, wildfires were reported near Minervino Murge, Guspini, Cerignola, and Carbonia, Italy, Timpaki, Lamia, Evia, and Amaliada, Ilia, Greece, as well as near Pissouri and Choirokitia on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus (28); but as Singapore’s Pollutant Standards Index jumped to record levels due to wildfire smoke from Indonesia's Sumatra island, finger-pointing was the order of the day between regional governments (29). A German reinsurer indicated that Australian investment in preventative measures could considerably reduce the cost of natural disasters like bushfires, which would otherwise increase to $23 billion by 2050 (30); while the Victorian government has bought 116 properties destroyed in the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires at a cost of $25 million as part of their Black Saturday buy-back campaign (31). Wildfire NOTD subscriber Nathan Maddock, Communications Officer at Bushfire CRC, sent along their latest Fire Note which examines a new firefighting simulation developed by researchers at CQ University and Deakin University (a YouTube video on the topic can be seen here) (32); along with a study which provides further information on the environmental factors that commonly contribute to sleep disturbance among firefighters near a bushfire (33). And finally, a wildland fire crew from Colorado's Rattlesnake Fire Protection District received their rite of initiation when they were doused with retardant fighting a wildfire near Parker!
(1) More Homes Evacuated in Western Wildfires
(2) Megadrought in U.S. Southwest: A Bad Omen for Forests Globally
(3) Fighting More Forest Fires Will Come Back to Burn Us
(4) Bay Area Firefighters Prepare for Fire Dangers, Season
(5) Philomath grass fire a reminder homeowners should prepare for wildfire
(6) South Rim wildfire forces evacuations
(7) Food for firefighters: 82-year-old keeps the meals coming
(8) Wildfire Roundup: Blaze in Huerfano County Destroys Boy Scouts Camp
(9) Black Forest Fire near Colorado Springs at 95 percent containment, many evacuations lifted
(10) Officials Release Colorado Guard Crews From Fire Lines
(11) Aerial Firefighting Teams Responding Quickly To New Fires
(12) Fighting wildfires from the sky
(13) California company hopes to base firefighting aircraft in Colorado
(14) Smoke from wildfires blowing into Front Range
(15) Colorado Springs Jewry steps up after forest fires
(16) Churches respond to Colorado forest fires
(17) Free legal assistance to wildfire victims
(18) Black Forest fire victims urged to beware of criminals
(19) As wildfires rage, federal government is cutting funding on fire prevention
(20) Colorado Republicans Introduce Air Tanker Amendment In House Farm Bill
(21) Don’t Furlough Forest Fire Victims, Colo. Lawmaker Says
(22) More Than 600 Animals Rescued From Colo. Fire
(23) Open house to offer wildfire-safety tips
(24) Personal stories of people impacted by the Black Forest fire
(25) Two wildfires continue to burn in southeast Utah
(26) Sun bathers, reptiles emerge in Alaska heat as wildfires spread
(27) Firefighters battling blaze north of Whitehorse
(28) EFFIS - Current Situation
(29) Singapore smog hits ‘hazardous’ high as governments spar over raging forest fires
(30) Costs of Australian natural disasters including floods, bushfires, cyclones 'set to $23 billion by 2050'
(31) Vic Black Saturday buy-back complete
(32) Awake, smoky and hot – fighting fire without fire
(33) Sleep and the operational readiness of rural firefighters during bushfire suppression
(34) Firefighters doused with retardant during wildfires