A new Oregon State University study published in Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment shows that forest thinning releases more carbon into the atmosphere than originally thought (1); and in Colorado, the Logan County Commissioners approved a Community Wildfire Protection Plan (2). Despite the high fire danger due to the Texas drought, Hardin County commissioners approved the sale of fireworks over the holidays (3); and the cause of a 41,000-acre wildfire that blazed through Marion and Cass counties, destroying 66 homes, remains a mystery (4); while the impact of the wildfires on birds in that state is examined by the next article (5); where a Central Texas library is providing 7,000 books to areas ravaged by the Labor Day wildfires in Bastrop County (6). Trees in a densely-forested area outside of Helena, Montana, are being trimmed due to repeated power line ignitions (7); and fire departments in Kentucky earned $5,000 in grants from Kentucky American Water (8). The next article takes a look at recovery efforts in the area around Israel's Carmel Forest, devastated by a wildfire a year ago (9). Bushfires are among the natural disasters which cost Australia A$4.39 billion in 2011 (10); where the Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund will be granting $20 million to various projects related to Black Saturday bushfire damage (11); and two firefighters from Melbourne Fire Brigade will be trading structure fires for bushfires over the next year (12). Providential rainfall allowed firefighters to gain the upper hand on bushfires burning outside of Alice Springs, Northern Territory (13); while fire authorities in Western Australia believe that 1,500 of the 4,500 bushfires they expect to fight in next four months will be lit by arsonists (14). And finally, there is a heated debate in Vietnam over using wildland firefighting helicopters to battle skyscraper fires!
(1) Study: Thinning to prevent forest fires releases even more carbon
(2) Wildfire plan approved
(3) Hardin County Commissioners ok fireworks
(4) Bear Creek wildfire remains an 'open investigation'
(5) Texas Wildfires Scattered Birds to the Wind
(6) Kerrville library donating 7,000 items to support Bastrop library following wildfires
(7) NorthWestern trimming hazard trees near Unionville
(8) Kentucky American awards $5,000 in grants to Kentucky firefighting organizations
(9) Slow growth
(10) Natural disaster cost Australia $5.25b
(11) Another $20m for Vic bushfire projects
(12) Rural tree change for MFB firefighters
(13) Overnight rain helps contain Alice Springs fires
(14) Public urged to join arson crackdown
(15) Hanoi authorities focus on firefighting activities after 33-storey building fire