A 600-acre wildfire has been reported near Nogales, Arizona (1); while the Texas Forest Service issued wildfire warnings across parts of the state today (2). Lake State Railway will be fined $274,209 for sparking wildfires near Grayling, Michigan, that burned 1,300 acres in 2008 (3); but fire officials across Kentucky warned residents of the fire danger as the spring fire season arrives (4). Wildfires sparked by debris fires were reported in several parts of Alabama over the past few days (5); and the next article takes a closer look at wildland fire prevention in Mississippi (6). Due to reduced rainfall across the Southeast, officials at Okefenokee National Refuge fear a repeat of wildfires like those in 2007 which destroyed 22 structures and burned 500,000 acres (7). A wildfire burning in Craig County, Virginia, has spread to 540 acres in size (8); while firefighters in Halifax County battled a 25-acre wind-driven wildfire that destroyed several structures (9); and half a dozen fires were reported in Pittsylvania County as well (10). A comprehensive look at wildfires across North Carolina, where 123 blazes were reported yesterday, is provided by the next article (11); followed by a summary of wildfires in four counties (12); while one in Surry County is expected to burn 600 acres (13). Firefighters extinguished a blaze outside of Boone, North Carolina, yesterday (14); but four structures were burned in Sumter County, South Carolina, when a tree fell on a power line (15). Firefighters in Western Australia were forced to battle a resurgent bushfire north of Perth (16); the following article providing detailed information for survivors trying to clean up the mess already done (17); even as the U.S. Navy lends a hand! (18) Fire agencies in South Australia are lobbying for more controlled burns to reduce the bushfire threat throughout the state (19). And finally, a retired FDNY firefighter who lost his home to a fire got an unexpected windfall: nearly $50 million in lottery money!
(1) Wildfire burning near Nogales
(2) Texas Forest Service Raises Wildfire Threat
(3) Settlement reached in 2008 wildfire near Grayling
(4) Spring fire season begins in Ky.
(5) Rural fires causing concern
(6) Wildfires a major threat on the Coast
(7) Swamp water levels raise wildfire concern
(8) Craig Co. wildfire grows to 540 acres
(9) Firefighters Battle 25 Acre Brush Fire in Halifax Co.
(10) Wildfires make for a wild Monday in Dan River Region
(11) Brush fires nearby, forest fires out west
(12) Crews battle wildfires in 4 counties
(13) Update: Surry County Wildfire Expected To Burn More Than 600 Acres
(14) Fire Night over Boone
(15) Wildfire burns 4 structures
(16) Bushfire flare up north of Perth
(17) Kelmscott and Roleystone Bushfire Recovery and Clean-up
(18) American sailors provide bushfire relief
(19) Authorities urge more bushfire prevention work
(20) Retired FDNY firefighter introduced as one of two $170M Powerball jackpot winners