Despite the fact that US Forest Service has no scientific data which shows that aerial fire retardant slows wildfires, they intend to continue using it (1); which, no doubt, was the case with a 100-acre Southern California wildfire that firefighters expected to have fully contained by Sunday (2). Fire Adapted Communities were a hot topic at the recent Nevada Wildland-Urban Interface Fire Summit (3); but Giving Hope Ministries has loaded a semi truck with donations for Texas wildfire survivors (4). A controversial lawsuit brought by a Congressman against the city of Billings, Montana, over a 2008 wildfire is the topic of the next article (5); followed by one from the New York Times that discusses the findings of Rocky Mountain Research Station’s Fire Sciences Laboratory as to whether beetle-killed trees are more combustible than live ones (6). Two new wildfires were reported in Western Galilee, Israel (7); while civilians in Uttarakhand, India, are helping to rehabilitate areas impacted by wildfires (8). The next article examines Victoria, Australia's, Powerline Bushfire Safety Taskforce study on how to improve bushfire safety in regards to powerlines in that state (9); even as Powercor agreed to pay $40 million to residents of Horsham impacted by Black Saturday bushfires sparked by powerlines (10); while the efforts of a legal firm in prosecuting a $300 million Black Saturday bushfires class-action suit are profiled by the next article (11). Queensland's Department of Community Safety indicated that two bushfires which burned near the town of Aramac have been contained (12). And finally, a Grumman S2F Tracker which once fought fires in California has now been unveiled as a piece of artwork in Philadelphia!
(1) Forest Service wants to keep using fire retardant
(2) Mill Fire Mostly Contained
(3) Wildfire threat: Why Nevadans fail to take action
(4) Helping Victims Of The Texas Wildfires
(5) Rep. Rehberg offers to settle lawsuit he filed against Billings over wildfire on his land
(6) Are Dead Trees More Combustible Than Live Ones?
(7) Firefighters battle two fires in northern Israel in suspected arson
(8) A people's forest
(9) Budget plans to bush-fire proof powerlines tight
(10) Bushfire victims to get $40m
(11) Warrnambool legal firm takes lead in courtroom
(12) Bushfires contained near Queensland town
(13) Former military plane takes artful turn in Philly