CAL FIRE battled a small wildfire in San Diego County with a pair of air-tankers and a helicopter yesterday (1); while the next article provides an update on Oregon's Rooster Rock Fire, which has burned 6,134 acres in the Deschutes National Forest (2); and the fire is now estimated to be 50% contained (3). A wildfire near Eureka, Washington, had scorched 10,000 acres by early this morning (4); where wildfires resulted in some trail closures in the Naches Ranger District (5); even as sparks from a vehicle ignited numerous fires along the side of Interstate 5 in Clark County (6); the ideal wildfire conditions prompting officials in Yakima Valley to impose a strict burn ban (7). Lightning-sparked wildfires scorched thousands of acres in Idaho (8); forcing at least one homeowner to evacuate (9); and lightning strikes were also blamed for wildfires in the area around Magic Valley (10). Pennsylvania's Forest Fire Protection Service reported two wildfires in the state (11); and a wildfire that was spotted in New Jersey's Worthington State Forest was expected to burn upwards of 200 acres before firefighters could control it (12). With over 200 Canadian firefighting aircraft cluttering the skies around wildfires, British Columbia's Ministry of Forests and Range is asking recreational pilots to stay at least 5 miles away from those areas (13); this coming at a time when provincial government officials reiterated the fact that there is a $1 million fine for igniting wildfires anywhere in the province (14); but rain and cooler weather are helping firefighters with their battles against hundreds of wildfires (15). With wildfire activity diminishing in Alberta, firefighters from that province are heading to British Columbia to help battle their plethora of blazes (16). Hundreds of wildfires continue to break out across European Russia, drawing a response from 161,000 firefighters, 26,000 apparatus, and 56 air-tankers (17); impacting 15 of their national parks (18); forcing troops to dig a canal between a nuclear weapons site and an oncoming wildfire (all nuclear and explosive materials having been removed from the site) (19); even as another 1,000 firefighters were dispatched to the Russian capital by the Emergencies Ministry due to a sharp increase in terrain burning there (20). A collection of photos shows the devastation wrought by the wildfires in Russia (21); while Russia's president has donated several thousand dollars of his own money to help some of the 3,500 survivors left homeless by raging wildfires (22); at a time when Russian climate scientists blame that country's record-breaking heat wave, with consequent wildfires, on climate change (23). The reception of Australia's Black Saturday survivors to the Victorian government's speaking tour has been frosty at best (24); but at least one mayor feels that the government is ignoring their bushfire survivors (25); however, taxpayers have turned a gimlet eye towards public officials who spent an estimated $31,000 in bushfire funds on questionable expenses (26); while the leader of the Opposition party has vowed to commit $10 million to install a bushfire early warning system in Victoria (27). And finally, Boise's Idaho Botanical Garden is feting a very old bear on Sunday!
(1) Dulzura blaze out; cause investigated
(2) Rooster Rock Fire Saturday Update
(3) Ore. wildfire 50 percent contained
(4) Wildfire burning 25 miles northwest of Walla Walla
(5) Fires in Naches Ranger District prompt trail closures
(6) Firefighters snuff I-5 grass fires near fairgrounds
(7) Forest fires prompt a local burn ban in Yakima Valley
(8) Crews battle rash of lightning-caused wildfires
(9) Wildfire forces area man to leave home: “I could see it coming over the hill"
(10) Thunderstorms spark fires around the Magic Valley
(11) Crews battle smoldering brush fire
(12) Forest fire could burn up to 200 acres in Worthington State Forest
(13) Pilots reminded to keep away from forest fires
(14) Costly wildfire battle prompts reminder of $1-million fine for reckless behaviour
(15) Rain overnight aids fire fighting efforts
(16) Alberta forest fire fighters lend hand in B.C.
(17) 322 forest, peat fires break out in RF over past day, most put out
(18) Forest fires rage in Russia's national parks
(19) Russian troops dig canal to bar fire from atom site
(20) Russian Emergencies Ministry sends additional 1,000 troops to tackle fires
(21) Russia Wildfires Pictures
(22) Russian president helps wildfire victims
(23) Has a Warming Russia Outpaced the World?
(24) Towns tire of Black Saturday talkfest
(25) Victims ignored: mayor
(26) Dining out on taxpayers
(27) Coalition pledges $10m to fight fires
(28) Idaho Botanical Garden celebrates Smokey Bear's 66th year