The strained relationship between US Forest Service and CAL FIRE over the impact of the depleted federal air-tanker fleet on California's projected fire season is examined by an insightful article from the San Bernardino Press-Enterprise (1); while a 3-acre wildfire sparked by some shooting practice outside of Boise, Idaho, was a reminder for homeowners to better protect their homes from wildfires (2). Mesa County Sheriffs Office is awaiting approval of their Community Wildfire Protection Plan by Colorado State Forest Service (3); that story followed by an Op-Ed piece that discusses forest management in South Dakota's Black Hills National Forest (4). Property owners in Michigan's Upper Peninsula were reminded that the spring wildfire season is beginning early this year (5). The next article looks at wildfires dealt with by the Maine Forest Service (6); while a 3-acre wildfire was reported at the Urban Forestry Center in Portsmouth, New Hampshire (7). Firefighters in Virginia managed to corral a 112-acre wildfire burning in George Washington and Jefferson National Forests (8); even as North Carolina Forest Service reminded homeowners in Henderson County of the spring wildfire danger which typically spawns nearly 60 wildfires each year in that county (9). As part of a week-long meeting of the European Forest Fire Networks (EUROFINET) project, firefighters and researchers from Greece, France, Italy, Spain, Poland, Denmark, Slovakia, Portugal, Holland, the UK and the US gathered in Northumberland, UK (10). A 10-acre wildfire was reported in Sri Lanka's Hantane Hills (11). And finally, world champion surfer Kelly Slater gave kids from Margaret River, Western Australia, who had lost everything to bushfires, a thrill by dropping by to visit!
(1) WILDFIRES: Tanker shortage could strain resources, interagency cooperation
(2) Thursday wildfire should remind homeowners to protect their homes for the summer season
(3) Wildfire Protection Plan: Under Review
(4) FORUM: Why do we try to fool Mother Nature?
(5) Wildfire season here early
(6) Forest rangers on lookout for dangerous fires early this season
(7) Portsmouth Firefighters Battle Brush Fire at Urban Forestry Center
(8) Wildfire in Wise County contained by noon Friday
(9) Spring kicks off start of wildfire season
(10) Tackling A Burning Issue
(11) Forest fire in Hantane
(12) Boys fired up as Kelly Slater drops in