CAL FIRE is battling a 2,000-acre wildfire near Bishop, California, that has forced closure of Highway 395 (1). A 72-acre wildfire was reported in New Mexico's Gila National Forest (2); while homeowners received some tips from a retired firefighter in a state that has already seen 125 mi.² burned even though fire season doesn't begin until May (3). An expert from U.S. Forest Service's Rocky Mountain Research Station pointed out that weather is a bigger factor in forest fires than beetle-killed pine trees that mar the landscape in Larimer County, Colorado (4); and human activity will play its role as well, as the next article shows (5). Some Firewise tips to protect homes from wildfires in Bandera County, Texas, are provided (6); followed by the story of a wildfire in Bastrop County which burned 36 acres before being 85% contained Friday night (7). An update on wildfire activity in South Dakota is provided by the next item (8); and a wildland urban interface specialist from Wisconsin's Department of Natural Resources provides some insight on the upcoming spring wildfire season (9). With a La Niña effect active in the Pacific, Georgia Forestry Commission is expecting a busy fire season in that state (10); while an article from Lee County, Florida, provides some statistics on wildfires in that state (11). Firefighters from Redding, California, helped Hawaiian crews battle a 1,704-acre wildfire burning in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (12). The Royal Grenada Police Force will be educating the public on bushfire safety on that Caribbean island next week (13); but six Spanish firefighters were killed when their helicopter crashed on its way to a wildfire in northern Spain (14). Rain helped quench a wildfire burning in Nepal's Langtang National Park (15); while a wildfire has been reported in India's Pallikaranai marshland, an area set aside in Tamil State for its ecological diversity (16). And finally, a wildfire in India's Sanjay Gandhi National Park gave new meaning to the phrase "herding cats"!
(1) Wildfire closes Highway 395 near Bishop; homes threatened and residents evacuated
(2) Diamond Bar Fire nears containment
(3) Homeowners have new options to shield from wildfire
(4) Bark beetle kill has little affect on fire danger
(5) Grey Rock fire caused by 'human activity'
(6) Firewise tips to reduce homes’ risk from wildfire
(7) Brush fire forces dozens of evacuations
(8) Firefighters battle Friday blazes
(9) Column: Communities learn to be 'firewise'
(10) Forecast fans fire fears
(11) Where there's smoke....Officials trying to keep wildfire season in check
(12) Californian firefighters join to battle the flames
(13) RGPF Continue to educate the public
(14) Spain: 6 firefighters die in helicopter crash
(15) Forest fire taken under control
(16) Fire rages across eco-sensitive Pallikaranai marsh for 5 hours
(17) SGNP officials save tigers from forest fire