A wildfire that burned 17,000 acres near Clovis, New Mexico, is now 75% contained (1); but the son of a property owner in Colorado has been charged with lighting a debris fire which destroyed over a dozen homes, burning 3,000 acres (2). Firefighters in Oklahoma braced for more wildfires with increased wind activity (3). A summary of wildfire activity in Texas is provided by the next article (4); a broader review of the year to date being provided by the following article (5); a photo spread from NBC news showing some dramatic shots from the fire line (6); Texas Forest Service reporting that fire conditions are unlike anything they've ever seen in that state (7); while an air-tanker brief on efforts of the Texas Forest Service to beef up their aerial assault, including basing the DC-10 and four MAFFS-equipped C-130s at Midland International Airport, is up next (8); followed by the harrowing tale of an injured volunteer firefighter from Gorman whose crew was caught in a burnover last week (9); but a small experimental aircraft crashed while two people were sightseeing over a wildfire near San Angelo (10); and a Christian Science Monitor article asks whether Texas has a problem with wildfire arsonists (11); even as additional evacuations have been ordered (12); including workers at a fish hatchery near Possum Kingdom State Park (13); while firefighters distributed much-needed supplies for those on the fire line (14); and firefighters attempted to make a stand along a highway in Coke County (15); wildfire smoke making life miserable for people with respiratory problems in Northern Texas (16); but help continues to arrive, including Hotshot crews from Arizona and New Mexico (17); but the weather forecast is not encouraging, with a cold front projected to move through the area stirring things up (18); while officials in Harris County have imposed a burn ban for at least the next 90 days after 78 outdoor fires were reported over the weekend (19); something which was recommended eight years ago in a study which was largely ignored by city officials (20). Fire officials in South Carolina fear that weather conditions could stir up a 40-acre wildfire that burned in the Carolina Forest near Myrtle Beach (21); while firefighters in Central Florida are edgy after lower-than-normal rainfall even for the dry season after 20,000 acres have already gone up in smoke so far this year (22). Saskatchewan is upgrading its fleet of CL-215 firefighting aircraft by swapping out their radial engines for turbines (23); but as a dozen wildfires burned nearly 400 ha of forest in Russia's Primorsky territory, the fire danger has been raised to "high" (24). Wildfires in China's Shandong Province are threatening a sacred hilltop called "Jade Emperor Peak" (25); and Indian officials are concerned about future wildfires in Valmiki Tiger Reserve in West Champaran District (26). An update on the ongoing court case in Australia Capital Territory over a 2003 bushfire is provided by the next item (27); but an inquiry into a bushfire that burned in East Gippsland, Victoria, earlier this year could become contentious (28). The status of a police officer who is accused of having accidentally sparked the Roleystone, Western Australia, bushfire is touched upon by the next article (29); while surveys have been distributed to 3,000 households in the Perth Hills in an effort to chart their experiences with bushfires during the summer (30); even as financial payments to help residents of that state affected by a January bushfire are being extended (31). And finally, a well-intentioned writer offers a suggestion on how better to battle the Texas wildfires: outfit the National Guard with tow sacks and beat the fire to death!
(1) Massive range fire not yet contained
(2) Man faces arson charge for starting Crystal Fire
(3) High winds, low humidity and heat could lead to more wildfires in Oklahoma on Tuesday
(4) Texas Forest Service Wildfire Update: Tuesday Morning
(5) Can US handle historic Texas wildfires?
(6) Wildfires scorch over 1,000 square miles in Texas
(7) Wildfires Continue to Destroy Texas Landscape
(8) Texas Forest Service brings in largest plane to fight fires
(9) Burned Texas firefighter says he's lucky to be alive
(10) Plane crash kills 2 sightseeing West Texas fires
(11) Wildfires in Texas: Does the Lone Star State have an arson problem?
(12) Texas Authorities Order More Evacuations, Wildfires Rage On
(13) Wildfire battles continue at PK State Park; fish hatchery operations affected
(14) Firefighters collecting supplies for Possum Kingdom
(15) Firefighters Making Stand On Highway 277; New Evacuations Ordered
(16) Smoke from wildfires adds to woes for allergy sufferers
(17) AZ sends hotshot firefighting crews to Texas
(18) Cold front, wind shift could create new woes for firefighters
(19) Harris County imposes burn ban amid severe drought
(20) In wake of fire, officials say more must be done to protect lives, property
(21) Forestry Commission officials fear Myrtle Beach area wildfire could flare up this afternoon
(22) Wildfires continue to threaten Central Florida after recent storms
(23) Saskatchewan takes delivery of upgraded wildfire 'Scooper' air tanker aircraft
(24) Forest fire hazard level raised in Russia’s Far Eastern Primorye
(25) Forest fire threatens to engulf China's famous sacred mountain
(26) Fires in tiger reserve keep officials on toes
(27) Bushfire time frames were not 'realistic'
(28) Bushfire inquiry not pointing finger of blame
(29) Roleystone fire accused off-duty cop not doing well - lawyer
(30) Bushfire survey to target Hills residents
(31) Relief for fire victims
(32) LETTER: How to extinguish wildfires