The Pleasant Valley Ranger District will conduct controlled burns on 5,000 acres of timber around Payson, Arizona (1). Boulder County, Colorado, is lifting a burn ban, but with the return of Chinook winds in a few weeks, it's likely to be invoked again (2); while firefighters elsewhere in that state are asking for the public's input on a proposed Community Wildfire Protection Plan (3). The National Weather Service issued wildfire alerts for Ohio's Miami Valley through this evening (4); even as firefighters battled a blaze near Goreville, Illinois (5). Firefighters in Kentucky were kept busy by a dozen small wildfires (6); in a state where 1,450 acres have reportedly burned (7). Firefighters extinguished several grassfires in Haywood County, Tennessee, today (8); and a pair of airtankers saw some action over Louisiana's Kisatchie Hills Wilderness Area where a 3,800-acre wildfire continues to burn (9). Alabama Department of Transportation was forced to close down part of Interstate 65 in Autauga County due to smoke from a nearby forest fire (10); while preservationists plan to refurbish an old forest lookout tower in Florida (11). A wind-driven wildfire burned 160 acres of forest in Sri Lanka's Hunnasgiriya Hills (12); and firefighters in Western Australia have gotten a bushfire with suspicious origins under control in Joondalup (13). And finally, for those fire departments who are suffering through budget cuts, one department in the UK may have the answer: advertising!
(1) Forest Service has prescribed fire of 5,000 acres planned near Young
(2) Boulder County fire ban lifted
(3) Wildfire plan requires input
(4) Weather service: elevated risk of wildfires Saturday
(5) Several fire departments battle Johnson Co. forest fire
(6) Small fires keep forest rangers busy
(7) Weather's great — for fires
(8) Haywood county firefighters attack the last of four grass fires
(9) Wildfire keeps wilderness area closed
(10) Smoke from forest fire closes lane on I-65 in Autauga Co.
(11) History buffs looking to preserve fire tower in Indian River County
(12) Wild fire destroys over 160 acres in Knuckles Forest range in Sri Lanka
(13) 'Suspicious' Joondalup bushfire controlled
(14) EPPING FOREST: Fire service considers advertising on engines