Southern California's Orange County Fire Authority is examining the $30 million reduction in CAL FIRE's operating budget, which some authorities say could have a deleterious effect on future fires in that region (1); the following article providing a photo retrospective on disastrous OC wildfires of the past (2). A meeting to discuss a new trail across the mountains near Lake Tahoe, Nevada, brought up the issue of cigarettes or campfires sparking wildfires (3); while the Forest Health Task Force of Summit County, Colorado, has a full schedule of wildfire-related topics on this year's agenda (4). The next article explores the future of Russia's forests in light of the UN's 'Year of the Forest' program for 2011 (5); but bushfires in 2009, along with drought and urban sprawl, are resulting in more deadly counters between Australian wildlife and automobiles (6). The rules for advice given by town councils in New South Wales in regards to bushfires are changing (7); and in order to raise $106.9 million for bushfire protection, some communities there are seeing an increase in the firefighting fees charged by Rural Fire Service (8). A Western Australian man has been charged with setting a bushfire outside of Gosnells yesterday (9). And finally, a New Zealand firefighter was head over heels about a cat stuck in a drain!
(1) Will $30 million cut hamper firefighters?
(2) Orange County's worst wildfires
(3) New paths could connect Carson to Tahoe Rim Trail
(4) Summit County: Fire, water, beetles & climate
(5) Preserve Russian forests for the world
(6) Cars and wild kangaroos on a collision course
(7) Councils let off the hook for bad info
(8) Cabonne questions bushfire allocation
(9) Fire came to within 10m of homes
(10) Firefighter rescues cat from drain