Firefighters in Colton, California, roped in a 125-acre blaze that briefly threatened homes on Saturday (1). Wildfire NOTD subscriber Kevin Ryan, a Wildfire Ecologist at the Missoula Fire Sciences Laboratory in Montana, talked to Popular Mechanics about the science involved in studying wildfires (to read the Popular Science article in full, go to the following link) (2). A wildfire outside of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, threatened homes before firefighters got it under control (3); but there's a bit of a tiff in South Dakota between the governor and US Forest Service over beetle-infested timber contaminating a nearby forest (4); this at a time when a wildfire was reported south of Rapid City (5). A small wildfire broke out in Arkansas City, Kansas, yesterday afternoon (6); while Michigan's Department of Natural Resources and the Environment fear that budget cuts could impact their responsiveness to wildfires (7). A wildfire near a deer stand in Wisconsin is suspected of being arson (8); but with humidity dropping and winds increasing, parts of Illinois and Missouri have received Red Flag wildfire warnings from National Weather Service (9). A 10-acre wildfire was reported in Titusville, Florida, on Sunday morning (10); while the next article takes a look Brazil's Cerrado region, where nearly 60,000 fires broke out in the first nine months of 2010, many of which were deliberately set by farmers (11). Firefighters in Bulgaria had some late-season blazes to deal with over the weekend (12); and the Australian city of Ballarat, Victoria, is petitioning to have timber plantations near the city removed due to the bushfire hazard they pose (13); while folks in Riddells Creek will be able to attend a bushfire expo being put on by CFA and DSE later this month (14). And finally, a story from Australia's Victorian Blackberry Taskforce shows just how tough blackberries are, even standing up to bushfires!
(1) Reche Canyon brush fire contained at 125 acres
(2) Smokejumping and the Science of Megafires
(3) Oklahoma Wildfire Threatens Homes
(4) Pine Beetles Pose Serious Threat to the Environment
(5) Wildfire burning south of Rapid City
(6) ONLINE EXTRA: City firefighters battle grass fire Sunday afternoon
(7) Budget cuts threaten fire fighting capacity in the U.P.
(8) Sheriff's Dept: Deer stand fire possible arson
(9) 'Red flag' fire warning for Shawnee National Forest
(10) Wildfire Burns 10 Acres
(11) Forest fires strengthen case for Cerrado protection
(12) Fires destroy vast forest lands
(13) Petition to remove plantations amid fire-risk fears
(14) Prepare now for fire season
(15) Beating bushfire blackberries