Several organizations are coming together to thin vegetation near Mount Shasta, California, to reduce the wildfire danger (1); and the Oregon Department of Forestry announced plans to establish a network of wildfire cameras across Grant, Hood River, Wasco and Wheeler counties (2). Favorable weather has rekindled a wildfire which had burned over 1,000 acres near Estes Park, Colorado (3); while a wind-driven blaze has scorched between 3 and 5 acres in a Loveland subdivision (4); and a 30-acre wildfire was reported in Larimer County as well (5). A 350-acre fire burned on the outskirts of Middlesboro, Kentucky (6); and another one near Midland cropped up late yesterday (7). Firefighters in East Tennessee continued to grapple with numerous wildfires as 24 counties suspended burn permits (8); human activity, both accidental and deliberate, being responsible for several blazes (9). High winds and difficult terrain made for a tough fight on a six-acre blaze outside of Swanton, Vermont (10). Two firefighters from New York State recounted their exploits fighting wildfires in Montana this summer (11); but the National Weather Service issued wildfire warnings for Roanoke, Bedford, and Lynchburg, Virginia, as numerous small blazes were fanned by dry, breezy conditions (12). North Carolina’s Department of Environment and Natural Resources announced that Pilot Mountain State Park has reopened following a wildfire there (13); while a car fire sparked a 15-acre wildfire in Wilkes County (14). South Carolina Forestry Commission fire crews responded to a wildfire in Greenville County that damaged a pair of homes (15); and a Canadian article takes a look at how the increasing severity of wildfires like the one that hit Lost Creek, Alberta, in 2003 are impacting watershed areas (16). As bushfire season approaches in the Australian Capital Territory, the next article profiles a product designed to keep leaves out of gutters, thus reducing the danger to homes from bushfires (17). And finally, Margaret River, Western Australia's, Bushfire Recovery Working Group commemorated the first anniversary of devastating bushfires with an art extravaganza!
(1) 'Many hands make light work'
(2) Wildfire cameras to keep eye on problem areas
(3) Dry, windy conditions rekindle wildfire flames near Estes Park
(4) Wind-driven wildfire flares up in Loveland subdivision
(5) Crews respond to wildfire near Carter Lake
(6) Fire spreads toward First State Financial office
(7) Forest Fire West of Midland
(8) Wildfires burn across East Tennessee
(9) Arson sparks new Anderson Co forest fire; several blazes in East TN
(10) Winds whip Swanton forest fire
(11) Montana wildfires a ‘shock to the system’
(12) Fire Danger High Today
(13) Pilot Mountain State Park reopened following forest fire
(14) Auto fire causes 15-acre blaze off Vannoy Road; fire risks noted
(15) Wildfire Catches Two Homes On Fire In Greenville County
(16) Lost Creek wildfire in 2003 hit like a 'nuclear bomb'
(17) Prepare for the bushfire season
(18) Photographs and artwork commemorate Margaret River bushfires