The US Forest Service's Deputy National Fire Director of Fire and Aviation Management spoke about pyroterrism at Firehouse World in San Diego, California (1); even as a new firefighting drone was demonstrated at the conference (2); while Wildfire NOTD subscriber Rick Halsey, Director of the California Chaparral Institute, sent along an update on his organization's efforts to stop CAL FIRE from destroying up to 2 million acres of habitat in its efforts to reduce wildfire fuel statewide (3); CAL FIRE's chief defending a secret $3.6 million fund in an internal memo (4). A proponent of Oregon's Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) industry cautions against restrictions on these aircraft over wildfires (5); while Colorado politicians continue to pressure Congress to authorize funds to repair the damage done by last year's wildfires (6). Portions of Oklahoma's Fort Sill were set ablaze for the third annual Destry Horton Wildland and EMS School (7); and following a year in which 1,500 wildfires burned nearly 500,000 acres statewide, the Nebraska Forest Service plans to train 500 personnel as wildland firefighters (8). Virginia's Route 130 was closed by a five-acre wildfire in the Thomas Jefferson National Forest (9); but at the National Air Force Association convention held in Orlando, Florida, the head of Air Mobility Command stated that the Air Force may not be able to deploy C-130s equipped with MAFFS units to fight wildfires in the future due to proposed Department of Defense budget cuts (10). The impact of Canada's Forest Act on timber companies in British Columbia beset by masses of beetle-killed trees is examined in the next article (11); while India's Mizoram State Level Fire Prevention Committee appealed to residents to protect the land from forest fires (12). Australia’s largest glass manufacturer unveiled new insulated window glass which has been designed to better protect homes from bushfires (13). Conditions in Victoria are improving as fire crews bring a 32,500-hectare bushfire to bay in the Grampians (14); while an event to raise money for the Carngham and Chepstowe Bushfire Relief Fund will be held tomorrow in Carngham (15); 300 people showing up at a meeting in Epping to discuss bushfires with Country Fire Authority (16). New South Wales fire crews are gaining the upper hand on bushfires burning on the outskirts of Greater Hume Shire (17); while farmers in that state will be eligible for grants of up to $15,000 for bushfire recovery (18); but the Warrumbungle Council Shire nixed the idea of extending special rates to bushfire survivors (19). Firefighters have contained a 2,300-hectare bushfire near Bindoon, Western Australia (20); however, a volunteer firefighter was killed by a falling branch as he was helping clean up debris following a bushfire outside of Quindanning (21); a 12-year-old boy being charged with lighting a bushfire in Karloo that cost $12,000 to extinguish (22). And finally, Northwest Portland's Audubon Society has a new tenant courtesy of Portland, Oregon, firefighters: an injured bald eagle!
(1) Forest Service: Pyroterrorism a Threat in the U.S.
(2) New firefighting drone makes debut at San Diego conference
(3) Groundswell of Opposition Developing Over Cal Fire’s Proposal to Target 38 million Acres of Habitat for Clearance
(4) California fire chief defends secret fund
(5) Don’t padlock future of civilian drone industry
(6) Colorado pols go begging for wildfire money
(7) Oklahoma firefighters burn to learn on Fort Sill
(8) State officials expect bad wildfire season, plan to train 500 firefighters
(9) Part of Route 130 Closed as Several Crews Respond to Forest Fire in Amherst Co.
(10) AF firefighting aid may see setbacks under cuts
(11) Forest Act changes under fire
(12) Mizoram takes steps to curb forest fire
(13) Viridian PyroGuard ideal for protecting homes against bushfire threat
(14) Vic bushfire threat passes for now
(15) Bushfire relief fundraiser
(16) CFA, residents in public meeting about bushfire survival after Donnybrook blaze came to Epping
(17) Firefighters winning the battle
(18) Bushfire recovery grants to help struggling farmers
(19) Council says no to rates help for bushfire victims
(20) Change in the weather helps firefighters control Bindoon-Chittering blaze
(21) Volunteer firefighter dies following blaze
(22) $12k bushfire was lit by 12yo boy
(23) Firefighters come to aid of injured eagle in Oregon