With a prediction of favorable weather, US Forest Service plans some controlled burns in Southern California's San Bernardino National Forest (1); and firefighters will also be conducting controlled burns in Arizona's Coronado National Forest in the near future (2). Firefighters from New Mexico State Forestry Division battled a 200-acre wind-driven wildfire near Mayhill (3); but Texas Forest Service is worried that a lack of precipitation in the Texas Panhandle this winter could lead to massive wildfires such as those experienced in 2006 (4). Firefighters reported that two wildfires burning in Virginia's George Washington National Forest are now 90% contained (5). The next article takes a closer look at fire prevention in Decatur County, Georgia (6); something of importance in light of the actions of a wildfire arsonist in that state (7); while Brevard County Fire-Rescue reported a 10-acre wildfire near a tree plantation (8). Lebanon's leadership is being urged to focus more on preventing wildfires that threaten remote villages in that Middle Eastern country (9); followed by a video segment that takes a look at Japan's entry into the space-based wildfire detection arena at the Asia-Pacific Region Space Agency Forum 2010 conference (10). A wind-driven bushfire has been reported along a major highway in Thailand's Prachuap Khiri Khan Province (11); and despite a wet beginning to the bushfire season in Tasmania, Australia, weathermen are warning that a long dry spell is ahead (12). And finally, firefighters in LA had to perform a swift-water rescue of a real dummy!
(1) Prescribed burns scheduled
(2) Prescribed burn set for southeastern AZ.
(3) Gusty winds pushing southeast wildfire
(4) Wildfire danger high
(5) Fires in Va. national forest 90% contained
(6) County’s forestry rangers have big job
(7) Ga. authorities say arson behind large wildfire
(8) 10-acre brush fire in North Brevard is contained
(9) Shehayeb calls for national strategy on forest fires
(10) Forest Fire Detection at APRSAF17
(11) Bushfire Breaks out Along Petchkasem Highway in Prachuap Khiri Khan
(12) Soggy start to bushfire season
(13) Firefighters on river rescue find floating dummy