With the approach of wildfire season, a cat-lover talks about ways to keep your felines safe (1). Southern California Edison has agreed to pay out $37 million in regards to a 2007 wildfire in Malibu Canyon that burned 3,836 acres and destroyed or damaged dozens of structures and vehicles (2); current conditions prompting the Los Padres National Forest to impose Level III fire restrictions (3); and as part of the preparations for wildfire season, a BAE 146 air-tanker arrived at the Santa Maria Air Attack Base (4); fire crews bringing a 4,346-acre outside of Frazier Park to 90% containment (5); and a 91-acre wildfire south of Yosemite National Park has been brought to 80% containment (6); but for those who want a weekly update on wildfire activity in California, CAL FIRE provides The Fire Situation Report via YouTube (7). Firefighters in Arizona have the 3,800-acre Soldier Basin Fire 8% contained (8); even as most national forests in that state prepare to invoke fire restrictions tomorrow (9). New Mexico's Carson National Forest enacted Stage One fire restrictions today (10); and the ongoing drought increased the fire danger in Cibola County (11). Some legal wrangling over the compensation of people impacted by Colorado's Roatcap Fire is delaying a plea deal (12); the next article touching on the need for an evacuation readiness plan (13). The wildfire situation in North Dakota is summarized in the next article (14); while a Florida Forest Service firefighter who rescued two fellow firefighters from a wildfire in the Ocala National Forest won the 2012 Firefighter of the Year Award (15). Russia, the third largest wheat exporter in the world, faces a dangerous summer of wildfires that could severely impact grain crops, according to the Federal Hydrometeorological Centre (16). And finally, physicists are asking an interesting question: could magnetic domain reversal explain how wildfires spread?
(1) Wildfire Season Approaches: Keep Your Cat Safe
(2) Edison agrees to pay $37 million in 2007 wildfire
(3) Los Padres Nat'l Forest fire restrictions to be 'rigorously enforced'
(4) New Tanker Added to Firefighting Fleet in Santa Maria
(5) Frazier Park wildfire 90 percent contained
(6) Wildfire near Yosemite is 80 percent contained
(7) WILDFIRES: Cal Fire’s weekly videos update what’s burning
(8) Soldier Basin Wildfire, east of Nogales, at 3,800 acres
(9) Fire restrictions start Wednesday in most forests
(10) Carson National Forest enacts fire restrictions May 21
(11) Milan: Drought Heightens Fear of Wildfires
(12) Plea deal offered over southwest Colorado wildfire
(13) Wildfires may bring fast evacuations
(14) Weekly DNR Enforcement Report: Spring Fishing, Wildfires Etc.
(15) Florida Forest Service's Roy Cribb wins Firefighter of the Year Award
(16) Russia’s grain regions at high risk of wildfires
(17) Flipping spins spread like wildfire